Monday, December 15, 2014

I am a Princess

“I would like to thank my parents who have instilled in me sound values and morals; my brothers who toughened me up - teaching me that femininity does not equate being the damsel in distress; my friends who are the spice of life; the SFC community who were and still are instruments in my spiritual growth; my knight who accepts me for who I am – all weirdness included and above all I give thanks and praise to my God- my King who loves me so much he called me His masterpiece.”

These are the thoughts running thru my head as I stood infront of the Princess Diaries tarpaulin yesterday and posed and smiled for the camera, parang thank you speech lng ng beauty queen diba?!

Every little girl dreams of becoming a princess and yesterday was indeed a very magical day filled with pink and white balloons, daintily prepared food and sparkly tiaras.

When I was a kid, I used to stand in front of the mirror and practice how to wave, blow kisses and curtsy as if I had just won the Little Miss Philippines Pageant which was kind of ironic actually because I have neverfelt pretty nor girly enough to win such contests.

Growing up with two brothers I would spend the day running around, riding bikes and climbing trees which scabbed my knees and as such was never comfortable wearing dresses.

I was an awkward wallflower who felt plain and un-pretty most especially when I hear people compliment and compare my cousins’ fair-skinned, Spanish mestiza looks against my typical Filipino features.

Often wondering what would I have been had I inherited my parents ‘beauty’ genes, I developed a somewhat introverted personality - feeling more at ease quietly doing crafts and tinkering in the kitchen rather than going to parties.

Realizing these to be my strong suits, I tried to develop these ‘talents’ and shared them with the people I care for. Without realizing it, my focus shifted from longing to be someone else to developing the person that I am.

“You are who and what you are supposed to be as designed by God”

"You are God's beloved, your name even translates as beloved"

"You are beautiful not because the world says so but because you are God's creation"

“Bloom where you are planted”


These are the words that resonated within me as I listened to every speaker and reflected during quiet activities in yesterday’s retreat.

I truly felt beautiful – not just because I was wearing an elegant dress and fancy shoes; it was not even because I was crowned a tiara and pinned a sash but because yesterday was an affirmation of who we are all along in the eyes of God – his princesses, his fearfully and wonderfully made beautiful masterpiece…


… and for all of this May God be Praised!

No comments:

Post a Comment